As a Hands of Hope AmeriCorps Member, you will provide direct care and supervision to children birth through six years old who are in foster care because of abuse, neglect, and/or the effects of HIV. You will serve these vulnerable children throughout your 12-month commitment to live and work in community in the Casa Neighborhood.
While the commitment to our organization is only one year, the impact you will have on the children in your care is lifelong. In turn, the children’s strength, resilience, and love will also make a lifelong impact on you.
Your responsibilities include:
- Direct, daily care of children infant to age 6
- Household management
- Coordination of the children's medical appointments and therapy sessions.
- Work with caseworkers, clinical staff, and community volunteers to ensure that the children in placement receive the highest quality of care
- $23,800 annual living allowance, paid bi-weekly
- $6,895 education award upon successful completion
- Health insurance
- Housing in a fully furnished home in a private, gated neighborhood
- Access to a network of service-minded colleagues
- Connection with a vast network of AmeriCorps alumni and a powerful addition to your resume
- Be available from September 1 to August 31
- Be 21 years or older
- Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. National, or Lawful Permanent Resident
- High school diploma or GED
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Valid driver’s license (for at least two years) – exceptions apply
- Cleared pre-employment drug screen (subject to random screening during service term)
- Cleared pre-employment background check
Hands of Hope AmeriCorps Members come to our program from a variety of educational and experiential backgrounds. And, after their year of service is complete, they go on to do deeply meaningful work in a variety of fields. One common thread among all our alumni is that they report that the program had a significant impact on them personally and professionally. The skills cultivated while participating in the Hands of Hope AmeriCorps Program are excellent life and work experiences for whatever field you decide to pursue next. We hope that you will take the time to read testimonials from previous participants in our program.